Japan lost to France in the final of the inaugural Olympic judo mixed team event Saturday, coming up short with a silver medal on the final day of the weeklong competition at the Tokyo Olympics.
Japan's Takaharu Furukawa defeated Taiwan's Tang Chih-chun on Saturday to capture the men's individual archery bronze medal at the Tokyo Olympic Games.
Hideki Matsuyama shot a third-round 67 Saturday and is one shot behind leader Xander Schauffele in the men's golf competition, raising hopes for a first Olympic medal for Japan in the sport.
Two male judoka from Georgia have been ejected from the Tokyo Olympics for leaving the athletes village to go sightseeing in violation of COVID-19 protocols, a spokesperson for the country's Olympic committee said Saturday.
Japan's daily total of COVID-19 cases surpassed 12,000 on Saturday, a record figure for the fourth straight day, triggering concerns about an explosive surge in infections while the Olympics are held in the capital.
MORE HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE TOKYO SUMMER OLYMPICS
- Elaine Thompson-Herah of Jamaica won the women's 100-meter crown at the Tokyo Games on Saturday, crossing the line in an Olympic record 10.61 seconds to lead a Jamaican podium sweep.
- Hosts Japan held their nerve to defeat New Zealand 4-2 on penalties on Saturday and advance to the semifinals of the Tokyo Olympics men's football competition.
- Japan's Sena Irie advanced to the Tokyo Olympics featherweight gold medal match in women's boxing on a split decision over Great Britain's Karriss Artingstall on Saturday.
- Tetsuto Yamada homered and drove in four runs to help move Japan to within two wins of the Tokyo Olympic gold medal game with a 7-4 group stage win over Mexico on Saturday afternoon.
- Caeleb Dressel of the United States won his third swimming gold medal of the Tokyo Olympics on Saturday and improved his own world record in the men's 100-meter butterfly.
- Great Britain made history on Saturday by winning the first-ever Olympic gold in the triathlon mixed relay, with the United States securing silver and France bronze.
- Behind Japan's record-high gold medal rush in the Tokyo Olympics, some of its athletes have been struggling with online bashing, prompting sports experts to call for strong measures to protect the Olympians' mental health.
- For Japanese gymnast Hikaru Mori, a performance at the Tokyo Olympic Games could have been another highlight of her up-and-down trampoline career that began on a supermarket rooftop garden 18 years ago.
- Hideki Matsuyama shot a third-round 67 Saturday and is one shot behind leader Xander Schauffele in the men's golf competition, raising hopes for a first Olympic medal for Japan in the sport.
- Japan's Takaharu Furukawa defeated Taiwan's Tang Chih-chun on Saturday to capture the men's individual archery bronze medal at the Tokyo Olympic Games.
- The Tokyo Olympic organizing committee on Saturday reported 21 more COVID-19 cases related to the games, none of them athletes, amid surging infections in the capital and some other parts of Japan.
- Japan decided Friday to expand its COVID-19 state of emergency to Osaka and three prefectures near Tokyo as a recent spike in coronavirus cases to record levels has raised fears that the country's medical system could collapse amid the Tokyo Olympics.
GAMES IN PHOTOS