As of 12:45 p.m., Monday, Oct. 5 (Japan time)
- Japan and South Korea plan to agree as early as this week on the resumption of business trips between the two countries, a measure the two governments halted in response to the novel coronavirus pandemic, according to Japanese government sources.
- Renowned Japanese designer Kenzo Takada, who made a name for himself in the global fashion world, died Sunday in a hospital near Paris after being infected with the novel coronavirus, his spokesperson said. He was 81.
- U.S. President Donald Trump, who has been hospitalized for treatment for the novel coronavirus, is doing well and could be discharged as early as Monday if his condition remains stable, his medical team said Sunday.
As of 10 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 4 (Japan time)
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will visit Japan from Sunday but will not travel to South Korea and Mongolia as earlier planned, the U.S. government said, after President Donald Trump was hospitalized with the novel coronavirus.
- U.S. President Donald Trump said Saturday he is feeling better than before as he battles the novel coronavirus, but suggested the coming days will be crucial to his recovery.
- The Japanese government is already planning to approve the antiviral drug Avigan as a COVID-19 treatment in November even before its developer has filed for regulatory review, government sources said Saturday.
- U.S. President Donald Trump is not yet on a clear path to recovery after contracting the novel coronavirus and the next 48 hours will be "critical" for him, a source familiar with the situation told White House reporters on Saturday.
Useful resources for foreign residents and visitors in Japan
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's "Tokyo Coronavirus Support Center for Foreign Residents (TOCOS)" multilingual hotline
- Available in Simple Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Nepali, Indonesian, Tagalog, Thai, Portuguese, Spanish, French, Khmer, and Burmese, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays except national holidays.
0120-296-004 (toll free)
- AMDA Medical Information Center's "Multilingual Consultation Service"
- Available in Simple Japanese and English, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. Also available in Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese on designated weekdays. Check schedule here.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's COVID-19 info
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government hotline
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Available via fax for those with hearing impairments
- Japan National Tourism Organization's "Guide for when you are feeling ill"
- Multilingual clinic/hospital search available in English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese
- JNTO's "Japan Visitor Hotline"
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese 24 hours a day
+81-50-3816-2787 (from overseas)
- Japan's health ministry hotline
- Available in Japanese only, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- World Health Organization's "Q&A on coronaviruses"