Lamont Marcell Jacobs won the men's 100-meter dash at the Tokyo Olympics on Sunday, crossing the line at the National Stadium in 9.80 seconds.
Japan's Kazuma Kaya claimed bronze in the men's gymnastics pommel horse at the Tokyo Olympics on Sunday, collecting his second medal of these games.
U.S. golfer Xander Schauffele won the gold medal in men's Olympic golf Sunday with Japanese medal hope Hideki Matsuyama being knocked out on the first hole of a seven-way bronze playoff.
Tsukimi Namiki on Sunday secured Japan's second boxing medal at the Tokyo Olympics, winning a 5-0 unanimous decision in her women's flyweight quarterfinal bout.
Japan's Kenichiro Fumita booked a berth Sunday in the men's Greco-Roman 60-kilogram final on the opening day of the wrestling tournament at the Tokyo Olympics.
MORE HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE TOKYO SUMMER OLYMPICS
- Japan earned a place in the knockout stage of the men's Olympic volleyball tournament on Sunday, beating Iran 3-2 in a must-win final pool phase game.
- Mixed doubles champion Mima Ito thrashed Dora Madarasz as Japan eased into the quarterfinals of the table tennis women's team event with an opening 3-0 defeat of Hungary at the Tokyo Olympics on Sunday.
- Athletes and officials participating in the Tokyo Olympics will not be asked to observe a moment of silence on the anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, the games organizing committee said Sunday.
- The Japanese Olympic delegation expressed delight in having won a record 17 gold medals halfway through the Tokyo Games on Sunday, when it also criticized online abuse aimed at home Olympians from abroad.
- Japan's Kenichiro Fumita booked a berth Sunday in the men's Greco-Roman 60-kilogram final on the opening day of the wrestling tournament at the Tokyo Olympics.
American superstar gymnast Simone Biles will not defend her Olympic women's floor event title on Monday at the Tokyo Games, USA Gymnastics announced on social media.
Britain and Australia won the women's and men's BMX freestyle gold medals, respectively, claiming the first titles in the newly added Olympic event on Sunday.
- Japan's aspirations of an unlikely run to the men's basketball quarterfinals on the back of Rui Hachimura were dashed Sunday when Argentina handed them a 97-77 defeat, ending the hosts' tournament.
- Japanese football fans have expressed their disappointment at missing out on Japan's progress in the Tokyo Olympic tournament because all of their matches are being played behind closed doors due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Judoka at the Tokyo Olympics ushered in an unprecedented gold rush for Japan, leading the way for the host to exceed its overall record haul from the 1964 Tokyo Games with the world's largest sporting event all but promising to bring about more jubilant cheers in the remaining competitions in Tokyo.
GAMES IN PHOTOS