Here are the latest updates from Japan and beyond on the coronavirus outbreak:
As of 11 p.m., Saturday, June 26
- Turkmenistan's capital Ashgabat topped the list, up from second, while Hong Kong slid to second after being last year's costliest city, Mercer's Cost of Living Survey showed, as countries continue to struggle with the economic, political and health implications from the novel coronavirus.
As of 11 p.m., Friday, June 25
- Japan may achieve herd immunity against the novel coronavirus by mid-October at the earliest thanks to a recent acceleration in the country's inoculation drive, Nomura Securities Co. said in a research report released Thursday.
- The president of the Tokyo Olympic organizing body said Friday it has to "tighten" its anti-COVID-19 measures after two members of the Ugandan delegation tested positive for the disease following their arrival in Japan.
- Japan will donate 1 million coronavirus vaccine shots each to Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand starting next week, Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi said Friday.
Useful resources for foreign residents and visitors in Japan
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's "Tokyo Coronavirus Support Center for Foreign Residents (TOCOS)" multilingual hotline
- Available in Simple Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Nepali, Indonesian, Tagalog, Thai, Portuguese, Spanish, French, Khmer, and Burmese, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays except national holidays.
0120-296-004 (toll free)
- AMDA Medical Information Center's "Multilingual Consultation Service"
- Available in Simple Japanese and English, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. Also available in Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese on designated weekdays. Check schedule here.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's COVID-19 info
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government hotline
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. (including weekends and holidays)
- Available via fax for those with hearing impairments
- Japan National Tourism Organization's "Guide for when you are feeling ill"
- Multilingual clinic/hospital search available in English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese
- JNTO's "Japan Visitor Hotline"
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese 24 hours a day
+81-50-3816-2787 (from overseas)
- Japan's health ministry hotline
- Available in Japanese only, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- World Health Organization's "Q&A on coronaviruses"