Tens of thousands of protesters took to the streets in Hong Kong on Wednesday to protest against a proposed extradition law that many fear could encroach on the city's autonomy and judicial independence, and enable Chinese authorities to use to crack down on pro-democracy activists and others critical of Beijing. 

Police fired tear gas on protesters and also used rubber bullets, bean bags, pepper spray and other methods to thwart the demonstrators. 

Here are photos from this week's protest captured by Kyodo News photographers. 

Thursday, June 13, 2019

(Police officers stand guard outside the Legislative Council, in front of protesters' slogan on the wall that says "No Extradition to China")

The authorities remained on high alert on Thursday, with a large number of armed police officers stationed around the legislature building. The government headquarters nearby will be closed through Friday, local media said.

Protesters had apparently dispersed after an overnight standoff with police. Nearby roads that had been occupied by protesters the previous day returned to normal

Large piles of trash, including broken umbrellas, helmets, masks, cans and bricks from the violent clashes were strewn along the streets.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

From early morning, protesters, many clad in black, filled the major roads north and south of the Hong Kong central government complex located at the Tamar site, which comprises the Legislative Council, the office of the territory's chief executive, as well as central government offices.

Some 5,000 police officers have been deployed around the legislature since Tuesday night. 


In the afternoon, police began forcible removal of protestsers from around the Legislative Council.

Police acknowledged using tear gas on protesters for the first time since the 2014 Umbrella Movement.

Sunday, June 9, 2019

Tens of thousands of people joined the rally on Sunday, one of the largest protests held in the former British colony since its return to Chinese rule in 1997.

Organizers estimate that as many as 1.03 million people -- roughly a seventh of the city's total population -- took part in the march, while police put the peak-time turnout at 240,000. 

The demonstration turned violent when dozens of protesters clashed with police near the legislature while some staged a standoff with police on a thoroughfare into the early hours of Monday.

Related coverage:

Hong Kong police remain on high alert for more unrest

Hong Kong protest: Crowds, police clash over controversial extradition bill

H.K. chief indicates extradition bill will proceed despite protest

All rights reserved.
No reproduction, republication or redistribution without written permission.