As of 11 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 16 (Japan time)
- The global economy is projected to shrink 4.5 percent in 2020 from a year before, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development said Wednesday, upgrading the previous forecast due to the gradual recovery from a slump caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
- India on Wednesday confirmed its coronavirus cases have exceeded the 5 million mark, adding over a million cases in less than two weeks.
As of 11 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 15 (Japan time)
- The Hong Kong government announced Tuesday a relaxation of social distancing measures, saying after two weeks of mass testing that the coronavirus pandemic appears to be under control.
- Educational institutions in Pakistan on Tuesday welcomed back the first batch of students in a phased reopening after a six-month break due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Japan's Cabinet on Tuesday decided to use 1.64 trillion yen ($15.5 billion) in reserve funds for fiscal 2020 to beef up the government's response to the coronavirus pandemic, including contributions to an international framework to develop vaccines.
- The coronavirus pandemic has forced society to reshape how people interact, and robots are fast filling the void, even to the point of helping alleviate feelings of loneliness in a world where social distancing has become the new norm.
Useful resources for foreign residents and visitors in Japan
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's "Tokyo Coronavirus Support Center for Foreign Residents (TOCOS)" multilingual hotline
- Available in Simple Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Nepali, Indonesian, Tagalog, Thai, Portuguese, Spanish, French, Khmer, and Burmese, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays except national holidays.
0120-296-004 (toll free)
- AMDA Medical Information Center's "Multilingual Consultation Service"
- Available in Simple Japanese and English, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. Also available in Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese on designated weekdays. Check schedule here.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's COVID-19 info
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government hotline
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Available via fax for those with hearing impairments
- Japan National Tourism Organization's "Guide for when you are feeling ill"
- Multilingual clinic/hospital search available in English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese
- JNTO's "Japan Visitor Hotline"
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese 24 hours a day
+81-50-3816-2787 (from overseas)
- Japan's health ministry hotline
- Available in Japanese only, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- World Health Organization's "Q&A on coronaviruses"