Japan's Daiki Hashimoto secured his second gymnastics gold medal of the Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday after claiming the men's horizontal bar title.
Japan's Sena Irie captured the gold medal in the women's boxing featherweight competition at the Tokyo Games on Tuesday.
Shohei Yabiku overcame a slow start to dominate the second period of his 77-kilogram Greco-Roman bronze medal match and defeat Iran's Mohammadali Geraei 13-3 on Tuesday, while compatriot Yukako Kawai guaranteed at least a silver in the women's 62-kg division.
Japan's hopes of reaching their first Olympic men's football final were wrecked Tuesday after a 1-0 extra-time defeat to Spain in the semis of the Tokyo Games.
American gymnastics superstar Simone Biles took bronze in the women's balance beam at the Olympics on Tuesday, making a return to competition after high-profile mental health issues saw her fail to defend three individual titles in Tokyo.
MORE HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE TOKYO SUMMER OLYMPICS
- Japan's Tomoa Narasaki advanced to the men's combined final on Tuesday, when sport climbing made its Olympic debut with the men's qualifying.
- The International Olympic Committee launched Tuesday a formal probe into the case of Krystsina Tsimanouskaya, the Belarusian athlete who was pulled from the Tokyo Olympics over the weekend by her team and has been offered asylum in Poland.
- Japan's women secured a team table tennis medal for the third straight Olympics on Tuesday, Mima Ito, Kasumi Ishikawa and Miu Hirano advancing to the final after a 3-0 win over Hong Kong at the Tokyo Games.
- Eighteen more people associated with the Tokyo Olympics have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total since the start of July to 294, games organizers said Tuesday.
- The heat and humidity in Japan have become a major hurdle for athletes competing at the Tokyo Olympics, even though organizers stress they have taken sufficient steps to prevent such conditions from posing a health hazard to them.
- The first openly transgender Olympian Laurel Hubbard said Tuesday she will likely retire from weightlifting after suffering an early elimination in the women's over 87-kilogram division but is satisfied with the chance to be on the global stage.
- Japan ended one 25-year drought on Monday against the United States and now looks to end another, against defending champion South Korea, in the quest for its first gold medal since baseball became an official Olympic sport.
- Japan said Tuesday it has reassured South Korea over the safety of Fukushima foodstuffs provided during the Olympics as Seoul offers its own food to prevent athletes from eating meals containing ingredients from the prefecture hit by the 2011 nuclear crisis.
- Members of the French swimming team on Tuesday became the first group of athletes to arrive in Japan for the Tokyo Paralympics since the games were postponed for a year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Japanese boxer Ryomei Tanaka guaranteed himself a medal in the men's 48 to 52-kg flyweight category on Tuesday when scored a quarterfinal win over Colombian Yuberjen Herney Martinez Rivas at the Tokyo Games.
- Sometimes athletes with dual nationalities fail to reap the full benefits of either allegiance, Filipino-Japanese golf sensation Yuka Saso makes the most of both.
GAMES IN PHOTOS