Disqualified Japanese tennis player Miyu Kato issued an apology Sunday night after a ball she hit between points struck a ball girl during a French Open women's doubles third-round match.
The incident earlier in the day resulted in the disqualification of Kato and Indonesian partner Aldila Sutjiadi when they were up 3-1 in the second set after dropping the first 7-6(1) against Marie Bouzkova of the Czech Republic and Spain's Sara Sorribes Tormo.
"I would like to sincerely apologize to the Ball Girl, my partner Aldila & team, & my supporters because of today's unfortunate mishap," Kato said in a Twitter post. "It was completely unintentional."
"As a result, I am penalized by RG (Roland Garros) by forfeiting my prize money & points. I appreciate all your continued support!"
I would like to sincerely apologize to the Ball Girl, my partner Aldila&Team, & my supporters because of today's unfortunate mishap. It was completely unintentional.— Miyu Kato / 加藤 未唯 (@miyukato1121) June 4, 2023
As a result, I am penalized by RG by forfeiting my prize money & points. I appreciate all your continued support!
The ball, hit casually by Kato to the opposite end of the court between points, struck the ball girl and left her in tears.
The initial call from the chair was a warning before Bouzkova and Sorribes Tormo told the umpire that the ball girl was clearly distressed.