Here are the latest COVID-19 updates from Japan and beyond:
<Nov. 22, 2022>
- Japan's health ministry on Tuesday granted fast-track approval to Shionogi & Co.'s oral COVID-19 drug, making it the country's first domestically-produced oral medicine against the virus.
<Nov. 21, 2022>
- Hong Kong's Chief Executive John Lee has tested positive for COVID-19 following his return from the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Thailand, the government said Monday.
<Nov. 17, 2022>
- New coronavirus cases among the elderly are increasing while those with severe symptoms and deaths are also on the rise, an advisory panel of experts to the health ministry said Thursday, as Japan braces for its eighth wave of infections.
<Nov. 16, 2022>
- Japan has entered the eighth wave of the coronavirus pandemic, marking a period where "high-risk behaviors" should be controlled based on the "judgment of each individual," the Japan Medical Association said Wednesday.
- Princess Hisako, the widow of former Emperor Akihito's cousin, has tested positive for the coronavirus, the Imperial Household Agency said Wednesday, making her the fifth COVID-19 case within the Japanese imperial family.
<Nov. 15, 2022>
- Japan's daily COVID-19 cases topped 100,000 on Tuesday for the first time in two months after the government scrapped coronavirus border controls and implemented a domestic travel subsidy program in a bid to spur inbound and local tourism last month.
- Japan will allow international cruise ships to dock at its ports, transport minister Tetsuo Saito said Tuesday, lifting a more than two-year ban imposed at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic to stem the virus' spread in the country.
- Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen has had to cancel attending the Group of 20 summit of major economies in Bali, Indonesia, after testing positive for COVID-19.
<Nov. 13, 2022>
- A medical association in the central Japan prefecture of Aichi is launching a probe into the death of a 42-year-old woman after she was given a shot of a COVID-19 vaccine tailored for the BA.5 Omicron subvariant.
<Nov. 12, 2022>
- Sadaharu Oh, Japanese pro baseball's all-time home run leader and chairman of the SoftBank Hawks, was released from a hospital in Miyazaki on Saturday after being treated for the coronavirus, the club said.
Useful resources for foreign residents and visitors in Japan
- Health ministry call center
COVID-19: 0120-565-653 (toll free)
COVID-19 Vaccines: 0120-761-770 (toll free)
-Interpreters available for English, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese and Spanish 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; for Thai 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; for Vietnamese 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Health ministry's COVID-19 Vaccine Navigation website
- AMDA Medical Information Center's "Multilingual Consultation Service"
- Available in Simple Japanese and English, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. Also available in Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese on designated weekdays. Check schedule here.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's COVID-19 info
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government hotline
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. (including weekends and holidays)
- Available via fax for those with hearing impairments
- Japan National Tourism Organization's "Guide for when you are feeling ill"
- Multilingual clinic/hospital search available in English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese
- JNTO's "Japan Visitor Hotline"
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese 24 hours a day
+81-50-3816-2787 (from overseas)