Here are the latest COVID-19 updates from Japan and beyond:
No major coronavirus news on Thursday, Nov. 25
As of 11 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 24
- The Tokyo metropolitan government reported five new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, the lowest level on record for this year.
- Japanese pro golfer Ryo Ishikawa, who is serving a one-month suspension for breaking COVID-19 self-isolation rules after arriving home from a trip to the United States, apologized for his behavior at a news conference on Wednesday.
- South Korea reported over 4,000 new coronavirus infections for the first time on Wednesday, deepening concerns about recently eased social distancing rules.
Useful resources for foreign residents and visitors in Japan
- Health ministry call center
COVID-19: 0120-565-653 (toll free)
COVID-19 Vaccines: 0120-761-770 (toll free)
-Interpreters available for English, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese and Spanish 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; for Thai 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; for Vietnamese 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Health ministry's COVID-19 Vaccine Navigation website
- AMDA Medical Information Center's "Multilingual Consultation Service"
- Available in Simple Japanese and English, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. Also available in Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese on designated weekdays. Check schedule here.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's COVID-19 info
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government hotline
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. (including weekends and holidays)
- Available via fax for those with hearing impairments
- Japan National Tourism Organization's "Guide for when you are feeling ill"
- Multilingual clinic/hospital search available in English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese
- JNTO's "Japan Visitor Hotline"
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese 24 hours a day
+81-50-3816-2787 (from overseas)