Here are the latest COVID-19 updates from Japan and beyond:
As of 10 p.m., Monday, Sept. 20
- The Tokyo metropolitan government reported Monday 302 new coronavirus infections, its lowest figure in three months, as officials continue to request that people refrain from unnecessary outings despite the downward trend.
- The Japanese public appears split over hosting the Olympics again in the future, while nearly 40 percent of respondents think it was good that the Tokyo Games went ahead despite COVID-19, a private-sector survey recently showed.
No major coronavirus news on Sunday, Sept. 19
As of 11 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 18
- Seiko Noda, a candidate to succeed Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga as leader of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party, called Saturday for COVID-19 vaccines to be administered to children aged 11 and under.
- U.S. President Joe Biden will convene a virtual meeting of world leaders next Wednesday to enhance efforts to tackle the coronavirus pandemic such as through equitable access to vaccines, the White House said.
Useful resources for foreign residents and visitors in Japan
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's "Tokyo Coronavirus Support Center for Foreign Residents (TOCOS)" multilingual hotline
- Available in Simple Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Nepali, Indonesian, Tagalog, Thai, Portuguese, Spanish, French, Khmer, and Burmese, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays except national holidays.
0120-296-004 (toll free)
- AMDA Medical Information Center's "Multilingual Consultation Service"
- Available in Simple Japanese and English, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. Also available in Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese on designated weekdays. Check schedule here.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's COVID-19 info
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government hotline
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. (including weekends and holidays)
- Available via fax for those with hearing impairments
- Japan National Tourism Organization's "Guide for when you are feeling ill"
- Multilingual clinic/hospital search available in English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese
- JNTO's "Japan Visitor Hotline"
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese 24 hours a day
+81-50-3816-2787 (from overseas)
- Japan's health ministry hotline
- Available in Japanese only, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- World Health Organization's "Q&A on coronaviruses"