Japanese golden girl Yui Ohashi won the women's 200-meter individual medley final on Wednesday in a time of 2 minutes, 8.52 seconds, her second IM title of the Tokyo Olympics.
Japan's Daiki Hashimoto on Wednesday won the men's individual all-around gymnastics gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics.
Japanese judoka Chizuru Arai triumphed over Michaela Polleres of Austria in the final to win the gold medal in the women's under 70 kilogram class at the Tokyo Olympics on Wednesday.
Japan's daily total of COVID-19 cases topped 9,000 for the first time on Wednesday, with a surge in infections in Tokyo casting a pall over the Olympics and putting pressure on the government of Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga to take stronger countermeasures.
Tokyo Games organizers on Wednesday admitted to throwing away approximately 4,000 bento boxes full of food that was to be fed to volunteers on the day of the opening ceremony.
Japan's Kento Momota, the world's top-ranked men's badminton player, failed to advance out of the Tokyo Olympics men's singles group stage on Wednesday.
MORE HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE TOKYO SUMMER OLYMPICS
- Latvia and the United States won the right to call themselves the inaugural Olympic 3x3 basketball champions as the discipline's experiment at the Tokyo Games ended with two thrilling finals Wednesday.
- Japan punched their ticket to the Tokyo Olympic men's football quarterfinals Wednesday, with rising star Takefusa Kubo continuing his scoring streak in an emphatic 4-0 win over France.
- The International Tennis Federation said Wednesday it will move the daily start time of all Tokyo Olympic matches back to 3 p.m. to avoid the worst of the heat.
Japan's Kei Nishikori reached the quarterfinals of the men's singles tennis tournament at the Tokyo Olympics on Wednesday, beating Ilya Ivashka of Belarus in straight sets.
- Long seen as a leading light in Japanese swimming, Yui Ohashi's path to becoming a double Olympic gold medalist Wednesday was not without adversity, confidence issues jeopardizing her career on numerous occasions.
- Four-time Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles of the United States has withdrawn from the Tokyo Olympics women's all-around gymnastics final, USA Gymnastics announced on social media Wednesday.
Japanese starlet Mima Ito remained on course for a second table tennis gold medal at the Tokyo Games on Wednesday as the newly crowned mixed doubles champion advanced to the semifinals of the women's singles competition.
- Tomoru Honda swam an inspired last lap to claim a shock silver in the men's 200-meter butterfly at the Tokyo Aquatics Centre on Wednesday, setting a personal best time from lane eight.
- Yuta Watanabe and Arisa Higashino moved one step closer to a Tokyo Games medal on Wednesday, becoming the first Japanese pair to reach the semifinals of an Olympic mixed doubles badminton tournament when they sent the third seeds packing.
- Samurai Japan rallied for three ninth-inning runs to beat the Dominican Republic 4-3 in the opener of the Tokyo Games baseball tournament on Wednesday.
- Japanese medal contenders Nozomi Okuhara and Akane Yamaguchi secured group stage wins on Wednesday morning that earned them both a place in the women's badminton singles round of 16.
- Sixteen more people associated with the Tokyo Olympics have tested positive for COVID-19, but none are athletes, bringing the total since the start of this month to 169, games organizers said Wednesday.
- Many overseas journalists covering the Tokyo Olympics feel they have no choice but to accept strict COVID-19 restrictions, acknowledging the challenges of conducting such a massive international event under extraordinary circumstances.
GAMES IN PHOTOS