Momiji Nishiya completed a Japanese sweep in the Olympic skateboard street competition Monday, the 13-year-old winning the country's second gold in the event in as many days at the Tokyo Games.
Shohei Ono beat Georgia's Lasha Shavdatuashvili in the men's 73 kilogram final, successfully defending his title on the third day of the judo competition at the Tokyo Olympics on Monday.
Jun Mizutani and Mima Ito made history on Monday as the mixed doubles pair gave Japan its first ever table tennis Olympic gold medal at the Tokyo Games.
Defending champion Japan took silver in men's team gymnastics at the Tokyo Olympics on Monday, finishing just 0.103 point behind the Russian Olympic Committee team.
A final-arrow shoot-off bull's-eye from Hiroki Muto on Monday delivered a bronze for Japan in men's team archery, the country's first medal in the event at the Olympic Games.
A typhoon moving northward from the Pacific could make landfall on Japan's main island on Tuesday, possibly bringing heavy rain to Tokyo, where the Olympics are under way, the weather agency said Monday.
MORE HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE TOKYO SUMMER OLYMPICS
- Naomi Osaka said Monday she felt a "sense of duty" to Japan when she was offered the chance to light the Olympic cauldron at last week's Tokyo Games opening ceremony, now she has zeroed in on finishing the job on the tennis court.
- The United States remained undefeated in Tokyo Games softball on Monday, defeating defending champion Japan 2-1 in a rematch of their 2018 world championship final and a preview of Tuesday's gold medal game.
- Japan's Yuta Watanabe and Arisa Higashino secured top spot in Group C in fine style in the badminton mixed doubles on Monday, easing to a 2-0 win over Melati Daeva Oktavianti and Praveen Jordan of Indonesia at the Tokyo Games.
- As baseball returns to the Olympics after a 13-year absence, Tokyo's one-year coronavirus postponement has allowed extra help to arrive as Japan seeks its first Olympic gold medal in the form of former New York Yankees star Masahiro Tanaka.
- Yuto Horigome proved Sunday that he will prevail no matter how intense the pressure, the 22-year-old Tokyoite shaking off sub-par runs in the Olympic skateboard street final to lay down the four must-land tricks that won him gold.
- Japan's Kento Momota marked his Olympic debut on Sunday with a convincing 2-0 win over American Timothy Lam in the men's badminton singles. Nozomi Okuhara, who earned bronze at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, also got off to a winning start in the women's singles, overcoming early struggles to defeat Germany's Yvonne Li 2-0.
- Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka says she has reaped the benefits of her high-profile mental health break, the time away putting her in a good place for her Olympic gold medal chase.
- Defending champion Japan booked its spot in the Olympic softball gold medal game against the United States with a 1-0 group stage win over Canada on Sunday.
- A player on the Dominican Republic's Olympic baseball team was suspended for three months and dropped from the roster after testing positive for cannabis, the Dominican Olympic Committee said Saturday.
GAMES IN PHOTOS