Here are the latest updates from Japan and beyond on the coronavirus outbreak:
As of 10 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 11 (Japan time)
- Japan's cumulative total of confirmed infections with the novel coronavirus topped 90,000 on Sunday, according to a tally based on data released by authorities.
- India said Sunday its coronavirus cases have exceeded the 7 million mark, becoming the only second country to reach the grim milestone after the United States.
- U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday held his first public event since he was found to have contracted the novel coronavirus just over a week ago, making a show of his recovery with not much time left until the Nov. 3 election.
As of 11 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 10 (Japan time)
- All Nippon Airways Co. will allow its employees to take on a wider range of side jobs as it looks to help them supplement primary incomes that have been slashed amid the coronavirus pandemic, sources familiar with the plan said Saturday.
- The second debate between U.S. President Donald Trump and Democratic challenger Joe Biden scheduled for next week has been canceled, the sponsor of the event said Friday.
Useful resources for foreign residents and visitors in Japan
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's "Tokyo Coronavirus Support Center for Foreign Residents (TOCOS)" multilingual hotline
- Available in Simple Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Nepali, Indonesian, Tagalog, Thai, Portuguese, Spanish, French, Khmer, and Burmese, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays except national holidays.
0120-296-004 (toll free)
- AMDA Medical Information Center's "Multilingual Consultation Service"
- Available in Simple Japanese and English, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. Also available in Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese on designated weekdays. Check schedule here.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's COVID-19 info
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government hotline
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Available via fax for those with hearing impairments
- Japan National Tourism Organization's "Guide for when you are feeling ill"
- Multilingual clinic/hospital search available in English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese
- JNTO's "Japan Visitor Hotline"
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese 24 hours a day
+81-50-3816-2787 (from overseas)
- Japan's health ministry hotline
- Available in Japanese only, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- World Health Organization's "Q&A on coronaviruses"