Here are the latest updates from Japan and beyond on the coronavirus outbreak:
As of 11 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 22 (Japan time)
- Major Japanese light equipment maker Ushio Inc. has recently launched an ultraviolet lamp that can kill the coronavirus without harming human health -- the first of its kind in the world.
- The United Nations on Tuesday (Japan time) highlighted the need to reinvigorate "multilateralism" to counter the coronavirus pandemic, which poses not only a global health crisis but has also sent the world economy into a recession and increased poverty.
As of 10:30 p.m., Monday, Sept. 21 (Japan time)
- Japan confirmed on Monday 312 new coronavirus cases, the lowest daily tally in a week, amid concerns over a pickup in infections in the midst of a four-day holiday that prompted people to go out to domestic tourist spots.
- India's famed Taj Mahal reopened on Monday after being closed for tourists for over six months due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to local media.
- Fujifilm Holdings Corp. said Monday it has completed delayed clinical tests of Avigan, a potential treatment for COVID-19, paving the way for the application of sales and production of the antivirus drug.
- A chatbot traveler assistance service powered by artificial intelligence has been launched at Vienna international airport to help users obtain real-time information related to the new coronavirus.
Useful resources for foreign residents and visitors in Japan
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's "Tokyo Coronavirus Support Center for Foreign Residents (TOCOS)" multilingual hotline
- Available in Simple Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Nepali, Indonesian, Tagalog, Thai, Portuguese, Spanish, French, Khmer, and Burmese, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays except national holidays.
0120-296-004 (toll free)
- AMDA Medical Information Center's "Multilingual Consultation Service"
- Available in Simple Japanese and English, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. Also available in Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese on designated weekdays. Check schedule here.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's COVID-19 info
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government hotline
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Available via fax for those with hearing impairments
- Japan National Tourism Organization's "Guide for when you are feeling ill"
- Multilingual clinic/hospital search available in English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese
- JNTO's "Japan Visitor Hotline"
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese 24 hours a day
+81-50-3816-2787 (from overseas)
- Japan's health ministry hotline
- Available in Japanese only, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- World Health Organization's "Q&A on coronaviruses"