Here are the latest updates from Japan and beyond on the coronavirus outbreak:
As of 9 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 13 (Japan time)
- Global international travel demand is expected to drop 57 percent in 2020, dented by tighter border controls and quarantine measures imposed in an effort to stem the coronavirus outbreak, according to a British research firm.
As of 11 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 12 (Japan time)
- The government has decided to allow foreign athletes' entrance to Japan during the coronavirus pandemic provided they contribute to Japan's success at next year's Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, Japan Sports Agency and other sources said Friday.
- Asia-Pacific foreign ministers discussed their responses to the coronavirus pandemic, South China Sea disputes, the North Korean nuclear issue and Hong Kong affairs at an online meeting hosted by Vietnam on Saturday.
- Since the outbreak of the coronavirus, there have been increasing reports that foreigners living in areas with prominent international communities in Japan are being subject to discrimination and hateful remarks.
Useful resources for foreign residents and visitors in Japan
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's "Tokyo Coronavirus Support Center for Foreign Residents (TOCOS)" multilingual hotline
- Available in Simple Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Nepali, Indonesian, Tagalog, Thai, Portuguese, Spanish, French, Khmer, and Burmese, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays except national holidays.
0120-296-004 (toll free)
- AMDA Medical Information Center's "Multilingual Consultation Service"
- Available in Simple Japanese and English, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. Also available in Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese on designated weekdays. Check schedule here.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government's COVID-19 info
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government hotline
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Available via fax for those with hearing impairments
- Japan National Tourism Organization's "Guide for when you are feeling ill"
- Multilingual clinic/hospital search available in English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese
- JNTO's "Japan Visitor Hotline"
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese 24 hours a day
+81-50-3816-2787 (from overseas)
- Japan's health ministry hotline
- Available in Japanese only, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- World Health Organization's "Q&A on coronaviruses"