Here are the updates from Japan and beyond on the coronavirus outbreak on Feb. 24, 2020.
As of 11 p.m. Monday, Feb. 24 (Japan time)
- The Japanese government will advise residents in areas where the number of people infected with a coronavirus originating in Wuhan notably increases to stay home, as part of its guideline to be unveiled on Tuesday, sources close to the matter said
- 2 more Diamond Princess cruise ship evacuees confirmed infected in Hong Kong
- China delays annual parliament meeting as the country grapples with the coronavirus outbreak
- Number of deaths in China from coronavirus rises by 150 to 2,592 on the mainland, total number of confirmed infections reaches 77,150: health authorities
- North Korea quarantines around 380 foreigners across the country in attempt to prevent outbreak of coronavirus raging in neighboring China: state-run media
- South Korea's government reports 231 more confirmed coronavirus cases, most of which are linked to a religious group, and two more deaths
- 2-day gathering of G-20 finance chiefs ends with commitment to mobilize all policy tools to keep global economy on track amid increasing concerns over ripple effects of coronavirus shock that has largely idled Chinese industry
As of 10 p.m., Sunday, Feb. 23 (Japan time)
- Hong Kong health authorities said Sunday a man evacuated last week from the coronavirus-hit Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan has tested positive for the new coronavirus while under quarantine.
- South Africa has canceled a men's under-23 friendly against Japan over concerns about the current coronavirus outbreak, the Japan Football Association revealed Sunday.
- A Japanese man in his 80s who was on the cruise ship Diamond Princess has died from pneumonia, the health ministry said Sunday, bringing the number of deaths among people who boarded the coronavirus-hit vessel to three.
- Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Sunday instructed his government to swiftly draw up a basic policy to curb the spread of the new coronavirus in Japan.
- The number of deaths in China from the novel coronavirus has risen to 2,442 on the mainland, with 648 newly confirmed infections nationwide, the country's health authorities said Sunday.
Useful resources for foreign residents and visitors in Japan:
- Japan National Tourism Organization's "Guide for when you are feeling ill"
- Multilingual clinic/hospital search available in English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese
- JNTO's "Japan Visitor Hotline"
- Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese 24 hours a day
+81-50-3816-2787 (from overseas)
- Japan's health ministry hotline
- Available in Japanese only, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- World Health Organization's "Q&A on coronaviruses"