Citizens went about their normal lives and no criticism against the United States were seen on Tuesday afternoon in Pyongyang, after North Korea is believed to have launched unidentified projectiles earlier in the day.

Around noon, many people walked outside for lunch in the center of Pyongyang, with some waiting for a bus to come while fiddling with their smartphones. At a park in the city, a man and a woman were taking wedding pictures.

Hotels and tourist spots in the capital were filled with a large number of foreign visitors including those from China, Russia and European countries, a day after North Korea marked the 71th anniversary of its founding on Monday.

Early Tuesday, Pyongyang fired projectiles twice from an inland area in the direction of the Sea of Japan to the east, South Korea's military said. It was the eighth round of such launches by the North since late July and the first since Aug. 24.

North Korea's state-run media have yet to report Tuesday's missile firing.

Along Pyongyang's main roads, meanwhile, banners and placards with slogans lambasting the United States, commonplace in previous years, are nowhere to be found, suggesting North Korea's eagerness to continue denuclearization negotiations with the United States.

In an apparent attempt to give an impression of a thaw in ties with Washington, a stamp commemorating the June 30 meeting between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump is currently on sale in the capital.

The stamp depicts the two leaders standing just behind the Military Demarcation Line at the inter-Korean truce village of Panmunjeom.

At their third meeting, Kim and Trump made an agreement that the two nations would resume stalled negotiations within weeks, but such talks have yet to be held.

Hours before the latest firing of projectiles, however, a North Korean senior diplomat suddenly extended an olive branch, saying that the country is ready to hold dialogue with the United States in late September.

"We have willingness to sit with the U.S. side for comprehensive discussions of the issues we have so far taken up at the time and place to be agreed late in September," First Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui said in a statement carried by official media.

The United States and North Korea technically remain in a state of war as the 1950-1953 Korean War ended in a cease-fire. The two nations have no diplomatic relations.


Related coverage:

Olympics: Koreas miss qualifying deadline for joint 2020 hockey team

N. Korea fires projectiles eastward from inland area: S. Korea