China's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday claimed the recent protests in Hong Kong are "the work of the U.S.," adding that the United States owes the world an explanation.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo "thinks that the recent violence in Hong Kong is reasonable because everyone knows that this is the work of the U.S.," spokeswoman Hua Chunying said at a regular press briefing.
Hua is referring to when Pompeo said China should "do the right thing" in dealing with protests in Hong Kong, in an interview with Bloomberg Television last week.
As evidence, Hua provided examples of recent U.S. "interference" in which, she claims U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton and Pompeo met with opposition figures multiple times throughout the weeks-long protests over a controversial extradition bill.
"There have been many American faces in the violent parade in Hong Kong, and even some American flags," Hua added.
In urging the United States to "let go" of the Hong Kong issue, Hua warned, "Those who play with fire only get themselves burned."
China's remarks come just hours before ministerial-level trade talks between the two nations scheduled to take place Tuesday and Wednesday in Shanghai.
Following last month's announcement of a truce in the U.S.-China trade war, reached on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in Osaka, U.S. President Donald Trump promised to allow American companies to sell some components to Huawei, which he has suspected of being engaged in spying activities.