North Korea fired a series of short-range projectiles off its east coast on Saturday that traveled up to 200 kilometers, South Korea's military said.

The projectiles were launched between 9:06 a.m. and 9:27 a.m. from around the Hodo Peninsula, near Wonsan, and traveled between 70 and 200 km to the northeast before falling into the sea, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said.

The military said South Korea is working with the United States to analyze the projectiles while remaining on the lookout for possible further launches.

The JCS initially said the North had fired short-range missiles but later revised the announcement to "projectiles."

Following the launches, the South Korean government convened an emergency meeting of top officials, including Chung Eui Yong, head of the National Security Office, and spy chief Suh Hoon.

South Korea's government is deeply concerned that North Korea's latest launches violate an inter-Korean military agreement signed last September, Ko Min Jung, spokeswoman for South Korea's presidential office, said after the emergency meeting.

At the second summit between South Korean President Moon Jae In and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Pyongyang on Sept. 19, top military officials from both sides signed an agreement to halt all types of provocations to ease military tensions on the Korean Peninsula.

"(The government) is focusing on the fact that the latest launches come amid stalled denuclearization talks, and we hope North Korea will actively participate in reviving momentum for conversation," Ko added.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke by phone separately with his South Korean and Japanese counterparts, Kang Kyung Wha and Taro Kono.

In their conversation that lasted about five minutes, Kono and Pompeo agreed that the two countries and South Korea will continue to cooperate closely, according to the Japanese Foreign Ministry.

A source at the ministry said Pompeo called Kono, who is on a tour of African countries.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said, "We are aware of North Korea's actions tonight. We will continue to monitor as necessary."

Kono and Kang later spoke by phone and confirmed close cooperation, the Japanese Foreign Ministry said.

The Japanese government said it had not observed any ballistic missiles entering its territory or exclusive economic zone and there was "no immediate security threat."

Tokyo does not plan to lodge a protest with Pyongyang over the latest launches, a Japanese government source said.

The launches came after North Korean leader Kim Jong Un oversaw the test-firing in mid-April of what the country called a new "tactical guided weapon."

Since 2017, North Korea has been refraining from conducting ballistic missile tests banned under U.N. resolutions.

Kim is seeking to engage in diplomacy with U.S. President Donald Trump, holding face-to-face meetings with him twice, but the second in Hanoi in February ended without agreement.