The death toll from Sunday's magnitude 6.9 earthquake on the Indonesian island of Lombok has almost doubled to reach 319, the government said Thursday.
Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Wiranto released the latest figure, updated from 168 deaths announced earlier Thursday, after chairing a special meeting on coordination of rehabilitation and recovery efforts.
Lombok was shaken again by a M.5.9 aftershock at 1:25 p.m., but there were no immediate reports of new casualties from that and no tsunami warning was issued.
It was centered in the island's northwest, as was Sunday's quake, and occurred at a depth of 10 kilometers, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, which monitors global seismic activity.
Video footage released by the National Disaster Mitigation Agency showed people running in a panic and heading in cars to higher ground.
The Jakarta-based Meteorological, Climatology and Geophysics Agency said the more than 350 aftershocks have hit the island since Sunday's major quake.
On Wednesday night, it urged local residents to stay away from hilly areas, particularly during the rain, as some cracks and landslides have been spotted in parts of eastern and northern Lombok following Sunday's earthquake. Authorities fear aftershocks could trigger more slips.
The major quake has forced about 156,000 people from their homes, with nearly 43,000 houses and other buildings damaged or destroyed, according to the National Disaster Mitigation Agency. More than 1,400 people were injured.
Most deaths occurred on Lombok. Many victims died after being buried under collapsed homes, National Disaster Mitigation Agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said.
The quake occurred as many Muslims were attending evening prayer at two major mosques in worst-hit North Lombok Regency where only several bodies are known to have been recovered so far.